I had a great time crafting in today's class. I've always been a person who struggles to have and maintain hobbies. When I get busy with school or work, the things I enjoy doing are always the first to go. This is a habit I've set out to change in the last few months. So far, this has taken the form of continuing to read fiction (and listen to audiobooks) even as school has gotten crazy busy. But I've never really had a "creative" hobby. As I've said before, I haven't historically considered myself artistic, so that is definitely part of the reason for this fact. However, I also think that I made crafting a big deal in my head: that I'd have to invest in a lot of expensive supplies and put a lot of time upfront to solidify my skills and today proved that that isn't true. It can be free and free-ing.
I loved how straightforward rope-making was and how I could see my progress so quickly. Within a few tries, I was already improving my technique to get tighter twists and a more stable rope. In class, I made ropes and braids with a few different materials: cloth, daylily leaves, and Manveen's hair! From the daylily ropes, I made a ring (which I still need to find a way to fasten better) and a keychain. I also took some ribbon home to experiment a bit more. I ended up making another small rope and a 5-strand braid. For me to continue this type of activity at home, of my own accord, is unheard of. But, I found the repetitive process very soothing, and I liked that I could still watch my TV show while creating something. I'm very proud of myself for the way I embraced this activity!
As I mentioned in class, I have a difficult relationship with my ancestry. There is so much I don't know about where I come from, and so I've always felt a disconnect between my genetic and cultural make-up. I think this activity was easier and more carefree for some of my classmates because their connections to ancient ways of being and Indigenous ways of being are a bit further from reach. But, I think I can learn from their lighter approach to these kinds of activities because it does really connect all of us if we go back far enough. One of my life mottos is "It's not that deep." And in this case, I should really take my own advice. I have a place at the table, and I can offer places to my students, as well.


This is enlightening and somewhat heartbreaking all at once, Madison! There are so many possible constraints we all face -- from fraught family and ancestral relationships to the extreme busy-ness of our lives. It's very good to hear your thoughts on these issues.
ReplyDelete